Background on the the establishment of ICPALD
- In 2009, IGAD Members of Parliamentarians support the establishment of a Livestock Development, dry lands training and a livestock Center.
- In December 2009, IGAD Council of Ministers assigned IGAD Secretariat to explore the viability of establishing an institution in the Horn of Africa.
- In December 2010, Ministers for Agriculture/Livestock mandated IGAD to establish an institution responsible for Regional Livestock Development (Livestock Unit):
(Article 5; Institutional provisions of the IGAD Animal Health Policy Framework in the context of trade and vulnerability of the member states)
- 2011 IGAD Executive Secretary (ES) appointed a committee of regional experts. The committee recommended viability of a “dry-land and livestock centre” (ICPALD established),
- 2011 – STVS protocol signed
- In July 2012, the 45th IGAD Council of Ministers mandated IGAD secretariat to establish “IGAD Centre For Pastoral Areas and Livestock Development (ICPALD)”