South Sudan national North Eastern Livestock Council (NEALCO) chapter was established in March 2017 with the main objective of initiating a national drive to recruit national livestock associations as its members. It was also to promote, coordinate, share information and advocate for enhanced trade in livestock and livestock products within North and Eastern Africa and outside the region. South Sudan NEALCO members, i.e. private operators and national chapter members were trained for four days (17-20December 2018) in Adama, Ethiopia in feedlot establishment and management with financial support from FAO through an LOA with ICPALD. Adama has many established and operational feedlots which exposed trainees to theory as well as practical sessions, to enhance commercial livestock production targeting specific markets. The training was to promote commercial livestock production through establishment of feedlots by the private sector.
This follow up training, done on 25-27 March 2021, sought to assist the chapter members and the private sector to develop feedlot feed formula rations using local ingredients.
To roll out feedlot establishment and management training for NEALCO members with focus on formulation of rations using local ingredients. The activity was conducted by a consultant for three days in Naivasha, Kenya.
The three-day meeting was officially opened by Dr. Wamalwa Kinyanjui on behalf of the Director of IGAD Centre for Pastoral Areas and Livestock Development (ICPALD), Dr. S. J. Muchina Munyua. Trainees were informed how feed formulation from locally available raw materials will be very useful for establishment of commercially profitable feedlots. South Sudan is endowed with a lot of natural pastures, fodder crops as well and crop cereals that can be used to formulate rations for feedlots. The ten trainees were encouraged to be attentive so as to serve as trainers of trainees (ToTs) back home.
Area of Training Focus
- Beef Production Systems (Pasture based, Commercial feedlots, Backyard fattening, Dairy beef production
- Feedlot Design & Establishment (Design objectives and basic considerations, Site selection and evaluation, Feedlot components and associated facilities, Sketching the design – locating position of different components)
- Feed Resource & their Characteristic (Livestock production systems; Major feed resources; Feeding systems; Concluding remarks)
- Ratio Formulation (Ration formulation basics; Feed resources & animals; Best cost feeds and rations)
- Mixing Feed Ingredient (Ingredient; Nutrient requirement; Feed manufacturing; Quality assurance)
- Feed Quality & Safety Regulation (Developing and implementing uniform and equitable regulations; Standards and enforcement of policies for regulating the manufacture; Distribution and sale of animal feeds resulting in safe, effective, and useful feeds)
- Feeding & Management of Animals in Feedlots (Potential feeds resource; Feeding practices; Total mixed ration; Feed trough reading and calling feed)
- Trainees should serve and ToTs back home to attain critical mass of trainers.
- NEALCO South Sudan should strive to attract private sector investors to commercial feedlots and link them to affluent markets.
- IGAD and FAOSS should facilitate further training inside South Sudan in locations suitable for feedlot establishment.